Saturday, October 22, 2011

Saturday, 4:35pm: The Big Reveal

Given my propensity for waterworks, I find it amazing that I have not cried once about this house. Not once during the home-buying process, not on closing day, not as a result of exhaustion, not during moments of horror and frustration such as the discovery of lead paint and the water invasion in my basement. When I saw our new floors, however, I have to admit that I definitely felt some tears in my eyes. For the first time, the house I was standing in looked a lot like the house I've envisioned in my head since we bought this place three months ago. And, if I say so myself, it sure is pretty!

The new floors are glorious. Even more glorious I imagined. Get ready for the big reveal, with a few reminders of where we started!

Our two back bedrooms began with everyone's favorite hunter green, pee-smelling carpet. . .


. . . then evolved into the discovery of our lead-painted floors and the emergence of our good friend CAL.

Check out the bedrooms now!


In keeping with the early '90s forest theme, our hallway offered us a lighter shade of green. . .

. . . then continued the lead-painted floor trend along with a lovely cut-out right in the middle of the floor.

Look out, world, it's a whole new hall!

And let's not forget our bedroom, a previous refuge for the depressed with its drab colors and floors with peeling paint. . .

a fresh coat of blue gave it some new life. . .


and now it's just a few steps away from being a gorgeous, relaxing retreat!

Truly, we could not be happier with our floors. We knew they would make a huge difference, but they really make our whole upstairs feel like a brand new house. Of course, we still have our fair share of painting and a number of other projects to do, but we feel like we just made a HUGE leap in our house progress. We can unpack our bedroom! We can walk around without shoes on! The lead paint on the floors is hidden away forever! We are no longer surrounded by unending ugliness! Our house is. . . dare I say. . . starting to be beautiful!

Dan was so excited, he broke out the break dance moves!

We are so, so happy that we made the decision to have the floors installed. And we are so, so happy that we don't have to talk about the floors anymore. The floodgates are opened and now we can move forward with so many things. . . starting with finally having nightstands next to our bed! Hooray! I love you, new floors!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Quintesential!! Homey!! You guys made the right choice!!! Poor CAL covered for eternity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn! Those floors are GORGEOUS. Having the new floors really does make it look like a new house. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are amazing before and after pics! Enjoy the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous!!! So excited for you. Looks glorious and homey and shiny and new all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look amazing!! We are so, so, so happy for you and Dan!!!! Definitely worth the wait. The whole house is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up a little - what an amazing transformation. A world of difference. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete