Monday, September 5, 2011

A Little Bit of Indoor Sky

Dan and I finally made some progress on painting this weekend. We were hoping to get two rooms done, but as we're slowly learning, everything takes way longer than we anticipate. The bedroom was a bit of a big project to tackle because we had to paint the ceiling and do two coats of primer since the walls used to be dark green. And my oh my, with three windows, two closets, and the bedroom door, there was an awful lot of trim to paint! On top of that, Dan is a bit rusty at painting and I've never painted an entire room before, so we're a little slow going. We're hoping we'll be able to pick up the pace as we get our system down and get a little more practice!

I've had the color for our bedroom picked out for about four years. . . way before we ever even thought about buying a house. I wanted something that would create a calm, peaceful environment while also being a nice backdrop to some of the travel photos we have in our bedroom (many of which are from national parks). I decided years ago that I wanted to go with a sky blue, and I couldn't have been happier to finally get it up on the walls!

This is a picture of the room before we painted it. It's the only room in the house that wasn't off-white when we bought it. The color isn't terrible, but to me it's pretty drab. It felt dark and dreary for a bedroom, and the yellowy antique white that they used on the trim left things seeming kind of dingy.

We decided not to paint the baseboards since we didn't want to do work that might get undone once we redo the floors, but everything else, including the closet interiors, got a nice new fresh coat of paint. I love what a difference the color has made in brightening up the room and making it feel so clean and airy!


Walking into this room feels so wonderful now. For starters, it's the biggest impact we've been able to make on a room since we bought the house; it feels great to finally see our stamp on things and to start to feel like the space is ours. On top of that, the room feels exactly how I hoped it would feel--the moment you walk in, the color is so calming and serene. I seriously can feel my body relax the instant I step into that sea of blue. We ended up using a color called Utah Sky for the walls with a trim of Cotton Fluff. To me, that sounds like the perfect recipe for sweet, peaceful dreams!

2 comments: