Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Miscellany

I have a random number of little house updates, so here is a quick rundown!

I have definitely been in nesting mode the last couple of weeks.  Redoing the office felt like something I needed to do, and another thing I've been pretty insistent on is getting old stuff cleared out of our house.  I am definitely feeling the impulse to clear out the old to make way for the new!  In addition to clearing out the old desks and papers and books in our office, we got rid of a bunch of things in our basement (and got it reorganized), I did a major shoe purge, and we took an entire trunkload of stuff to Goodwill along with dropping off other things to be recycled.  I always enjoy purging (it feels so great to finally get rid of unwanted things),and of course I feel better now that we have more room for Baby and all of her things!

And speaking of new things, we were very fortunate to have our friends Natalie and Steve pass along this changing table to us!  Though I'm not planning to have a changing table in the nursery (we are just going to put the changing pad on top of the dresser), I realized that the changing table would be perfect in our bedroom for those first few months.  We can use it as a place to store all of her things in our bedroom, and of course, it will come in very handy for those middle of the night diaper changes!  I'm so thankful that our friends passed it along to us.


Dan has been working on some pre-baby projects, including taking out old brass hinges in the nursery and replacing them with new ones.  Not only do they look a lot better, but we also won't have to worry about old paint flaking off the old ones!


In other news, we found pillows at IKEA to finish off the office.  Sometimes Dan and I have a hard time agreeing on textiles, but we both loved these dot pillows right away!  They add a nice little bit of color and will be great for lounging on while we read!


And in the last piece of miscellaneous news, just a few weeks ago I made the last payment to pay off our upstairs hardwood floors!  We were able to get 18-month financing at 0% interest when we had the floors installed, and we've been submitting monthly payments since that time.  It feels awesome to finally have them paid off for good, and of course the timing couldn't be better since we could definitely use a little more wiggle room in our budget once the baby arrives!

Of course, the big project that is still awaiting our attention is the nursery.  As much as I would love to be working on that now, we've decided to focus our energies on other things like making sure we have all the things we need for the baby for the first few weeks, installing the car seat, getting our bags packed for the trip to The Birth Center, etc.  I'm still hoping to get some work done on the nursery before the baby arrives, but the truth is that she probably won't be in there for the first few months, and I know that we'll get it done eventually, so it's fallen lower on the list of things to do.  Still, I'm hoping to make some progress on it if I have the energy for it, and at the very least we'll be adding my grandmother's rocking chair and some window shades in the next week, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have put the nesting bug to good use! :)

    ReplyDelete